I actually think about this quite a bit as I never know if I should do a short review or a longer review. I’m interested to know what you guys prefer in reviews, shorter or longer ones! I honestly don’t really prefer one strongly over the other and both have their own pros and cons, which is what I’d like to discuss.
I have a lot more pros for each than I do cons, because honestly I think both short and long reviews are great!
Definitely let me know what you think down in the comments and join the discussion!
What are some pros of shorter reviews?
- I like to think that shorter reviews can be a lot easier to do overall since you aren’t writing as much of course, and they definitely don’t take up as much time.
- You can get your overall feelings on the book across a lot quicker with a shorter review.
- If you don’t really have much to say about the book and it felt kind of “meh” to you, it’s nicer to write a short review because there isn’t much to say about it!
- Honestly, if you’re just feeling plain lazy a short review can be your ticket to getting the review done and over with (I know I have those days!)
- Short reviews are much quicker to read through if you’re just looking for a general idea about what the book is like.
- You can do a list style/bullet point review, which is simple and fun!
What are some cons to shorter reviews?
- Not as much detail is provided
- Sometimes you might not be able to get enough out of a short review to determine if you would like to read the book or not (depends on your personal preference)
What are some pros to longer reviews?
- More details on elements of the book: plot, characters, romance, writing, etc.
- There should be plenty of information provided to determine if you’d like to read the book or not.
- If you really loved/enjoyed the book you’re reviewing, it’s nice to do a long review so you can express and discuss it more!
What are some cons to longer reviews?
- More time consuming to write/type.
- They’re longer to read, of course!
Which style of review do you prefer more, shorter or longer?
I really do enjoy both styles of review! However, I think I lean more towards short reviews when I’m writing them and towards longer reviews when reading them (that might just be me being lazy though). Although sometimes I prefer a quick, short review to read just to get a general idea bout the book and if I’d like to read it or not!
What are some of your pros/cons for shorter reviews?
What are some of your pros/cons for longer reviews?
Do you prefer one over the other? Why?
Let me know in the comments and come join the discussion!