This is a survey done up by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner! It sounded like a lot of fun to do plus I love answering questions! This is going to be a loooooong post guys. If you participate or have already feel free to leave a link in the comments.
Also since I started my blog just THIS year (2015) I didn’t read very many books. I read a total of 35, so I won’t have a lot of selection for the questions that follow. You’ll probably see me using a lot of the same titles for multiple questions. I apologize in advance, but it can’t be helped too much.
2015 Reading Stats
Number of Books I Read: 35
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
This is a VERY hard question, but I’m just going to have to go with V.E. Schwab’s “Vicious”. I did a buddy read with Ariana over at The Quirky Book Nerd for this and it was an absolute blast! Hopefully I can have a review for this book up soon, but until then just know that it really is a fantastic read.
There’s super powers and some of the best characters I’ve ever had the pleasure to read about. Honestly I can’t think of a single bad thing about this book.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was super excited about reading Richelle Mead’s newest book “Soundless”, as you all probably know by know I did not enjoy it. I adored Mead’s Vampire Academy series and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on “Soundless” turns out I shouldn’t have bothered with it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I’m going to go with “Hyperbole of the Half” by Allie Brosh, it was the most surprising in GOOD way. Usually I don’t read Non-Fiction books but this was recommended to me by Ariana from The Quirky Book Nerd and it was awesome! It was just hilarious and overall a VERY enjoyable read!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Tough to say I’m not sure anyone actually read anything I recommended but I definitely recommended a few. I made a few recommendation posts sooo I guess if any of you read those that counts, right? Although I can say that I’ve recommended “The Knife of Never Letting Go” as well as “A Monster Calls” in more than a couple posts, both books by Patrick Ness and both 5 star reads!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
Even though I technically have like 30 more pages left I’m going to say the best series I started in 2015 is The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey. It’s a horror series that really delivers the horror, which I love. The two main characters are interesting and I find myself caring A LOT about what happens to them.
The only sequel I read in 2015 was “Curse of the Bane” by Joseph Delaney, it’s the second book in The Last Apprentice series. It’s a pretty great series that I need to continue reading, I definitely recommend it if you’re a fan of the Percy Jackson series!
As far as the best series ender I didn’t finish any series this year so I can’t answer that one , whoops.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
TOO MANY. I’ll have to go with V.E. Schwab just because I’ve read two of her books so far and absolutely loved them. She’s an amazing writer, I’ll be reading anything she puts out, guaranteed.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
“The Wrath & The Dawn” by Renee Ahdieh, I do read a ton of fantasy but I seldom ever read romance books. The fantasy element in this book is good but the romance part far outweighs it. I’m not a romance person but this book did it so well I couldn’t help but love it anyways.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Sorry, I’m going to have to pick V.E. Schwab’s “Vicious” once again, it was literally unputdownable. I could NOT stop reading it!
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I usually don’t re-read a lot of books but I’d say the most likely one would be “Hyperbole and a Half” by Allie Brosh.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
“Vengeance Road” by Erin Bowman, even though I didn’t particularly love the book itself I thought the cover was gorgeous!
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
There’s a TON, I’m just going to pick one of my personal favorites. Cheshire from “Alice” by Christina Henry. He was more of a minor character but I loved him regardless! Sorry, I just have a lot of love for that book AND that character.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
I actually have a few contenders for this one but overall I think I’m going to go with “Lips Touch: Three Times” by Laini Taylor. It’s a compilation of 3 original fairy tales, and Laini’s writing style is very beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
You mean besides anything Patrick Ness has written? Normally I’d pick one of his books again but just for the sake of changing it up a little I’m going with “The Steep & Thorny Way” by Cat Winters. It actually tackles quite a few very serious issues and it definitely is thought-provoking.
It’s set in 1920’s Oregon and you read a lot about the racial issues of the time, like I said it’s very thought provoking because it really drives the issues home.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
Um how about pretty much all of them? Seriously I don’t think I can pick one for this question. There’s honestly too many.
I JUST got onto Goodreads this year and started my blog this year as well, so I’m discovering ALL kinds of amazing books I should have read long ago!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
“Plenty of humans were mostrous, and plenty of monsters knew hot to play at being human.” – V.E. Schwab’s “Vicious”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
Shortest: “The Grownup” by Gillian Flynn
Longest: “These Shallow Graves” by Jennifer Donnelly
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I would say “Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn, she really is a master of plot twists. I did NOT see that coming and when it happened I literally sat there with my mouth wide open.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR
Hands down Kell and Delilah from “A Darker Shade of Magic” by V.E. Schwab. Seriously I ship it…so much. I ship that OTP with every ounce of my being!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Victor Vale and Mitch Turner from V.E. Schwab’s “Vicious”. The bromance is strong with those two.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
“Sharp Objects” by Gillain Flynn, once again. I actually read her other books this year as well: “The Grownup” and “Dark Places”. So I had a few to choose from. As you can probably tell the book I read by her previously was “Gone Girl”.
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I can honestly say “Hyperbole and a Half” by Allie Brosh, which as I stated earlier was recommended to me by Ariana at The Quirky Book Geek!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Um I don’t really have any, I didn’t really read a lot of books with any swoon-worthy characters. At least not any of note.
Soooo I’m going to say Victor Vale from “Vicious”, what can I say? I love villains.
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
“The Wrath & The Dawn” by Renee Ahdieh. I only had two 2015 debuts to choose from and I didn’t love “The Dead House” by Dawn Kurtagich as much as this book so it was an easy pick.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
“The Knife of Never Letting Go” by Patrick Ness. It had AMAZING world building, it was very unique and well described. Ness definitely gave you enough information and created an entire planet of his own. None of the other books I read in 2015 can compete with it.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
“Hyperbole and a Half”, it’s a humor book so obviously it was the most fun to read!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
Oh wow, there were a couple but the one I cried the most for was “A Monster Calls” by Patrick Ness.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I haven’t read any that were published in 2015 but I can say that “Midwinterblood” by Marcus Sedgwick is very underrated. It’s an extremely unique and enjoyable book.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
“The Knife of Never Letting Go” by Patrick Ness, no spoilers of course but seriously THIS BOOK DESTROYED ME!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
“The Dead House” by Dawn Kurtagich, it’s actually quite unique. The story itself is very interesting, it’s about a girl with a personality disorder. I don’t know about you but I don’t really know of any other books like that. Also the formatting itself is very unique, it’s composed of newspaper clippings, journal entries, and transcribed audio/video clips.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
“Blood, Ink, Fire” by Ashley Mansour. It made me the most mad because it sucked. Plain and simple. I hated it because it was a mess of a book. To explain in detail I’d need to go on a rant for at least another couple of paragraphs.
My Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
Every single blog I follow is my favorite! And since I just started blogging in August of this year (2015) so every one I love and follow was discovered this year!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
I hate to sound like a broken record but “The Knife of Never Letting Go”. I actually went and made a meme specifically to add to my review for this book!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Sorry, I’m still incredibly new to this so I haven’t had any discussion posts. But my favorite non-review post would be my Funko Pop/Book Pairings post. I matched up my Funko Pop collection with book themes! I had a lot of fun with it as well!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I haven’t really had the chance yet to participate in any of these things although I will say my favorite bookish meme is Top Ten Tuesday! I love making lists.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Besides starting my blog? I would say then maybe getting my first ARC. I received my first ARC via Netgalley, it was a copy of “Worlds of Ink and Shadow” by Lena Coakley.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Not a whole lot actually. Except I tend to be a terrible procrastinator at times, so maybe getting my posts out in a timely fashion? I’m awful.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular post was my Siblinghood (Sisterhood) of the World Blog Award. I’m surprised, I don’t actually know why it got so many views but it did. *shrugs shoulders*
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’m not really picky in this manner, I’m happy if I get views on any of my posts.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Oh my gosh yes! Book Outlet! I ordered seven books there for just a little over $20! They have a pretty good selection for extremely cheap prices! I’m in love!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Just the Goodreads reading challenge! I set the goal of 35 books and completed it, like I said I started blogging in August so I didn’t have much time to set my reading goal higher.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
“Six of Crows” by Leigh Bardugo. I’m ashamed I haven’t read this yet, I was anticipating it for the longest time and STILL haven’t read it. I’ll definitely get around to reading it this year for sure though, I’m actually planning on reading it next hopefully!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
Too many to count actually, but I’ll pick “The Impostor Queen” by Sarah Fine.
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
“Blackhearts” by Nicole Castroman, I actually have an ARC of this one so I’ll let you guys know how it turns out!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
“The Rose & The Dagger” by Renee Ahdieh, the sequel to “The Wrath & The Dawn”.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
I’m not really sure what I hope to accomplish. I guess I hope to improve upon my review writing and my posting!
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
“The Steep & Thorny Way” by Cat Winters, it’s a fantastic book and I can’t really see anyone not enjoying it.
That wraps that up, wow that took me forever! Sorry for the long post guys! Hopefully this year I can read a wider selection of books and have a bigger variety for these questions next time!